Facilitating better use of the PPM tool and improving the quality of data to get the maximum of information
CA PPM (previous Clarity) is an integrated suite of modules that allows your organization to seamlessly manage its services, projects, products, people and financials. It gives your executives a real-time view into their organization’s investments, initiatives and resources, and empowers your managers to deliver controlled and predictable execution of projects and programs. Built on top of the core project and portfolio management functionality are solution-specific modules that support the critical processes of IT Governance, New Product Development and Enterprise Program Management.
Our client is the 5th largest bank in Belgium with a net profit of 250 million euros in 2014. With a high level of client appreciation, as shown in their 30+ Net Promoter Score. In 2012, the Bank decided to implement a Project Portfolio Management tool to replace the different stand-alone tools such as TenForce, MSProject and MSOffice.
In a first phase, focus was on the input and data quality of the Project and Portfolio Management related information. The next phase was to get a maximum of information out of the tool as well as process improvements.
The areas for improvements have been identified by Crossroad together with the client’s Project Management Office (PMO) team. The focus was put on People, Process and Technology:
- People: facilitate the Project Managers, Portfolio Managers and PMO in a better use of the PPM tool and to get a maximum of information from the tool
- Process: Clearly defined processes to get up to date, accurate and correct data
- Technology: maximum use of standard (out of the box) functions of the PPM Tool
Following areas of improvement have been implemented by Crossroad Consulting together with the PMO team:
- Multiple systems, methods used for time entry.
- Incomplete & incorrect data availability for project planning and budgeting.
- Inefficient process for timesheet approval with consequences to billing process.
- Clear definition of Roles & responsibilities
- New timesheet process with procedures & guidelines
- Introduction of KPI’s with targets
- Increased transparency
Self-Billing procedure (Information provided to the supplier of external resources on what can/may be invoiced):
- Long manual and paper intensive procedure to approve invoices of external resources
- Long lead time (2 – 3 months)
- Risk that supplier sends the invoice twice
- Lean and paperless procedure
- Faster and efficient use of available data
- Less resource intensive approval procedure
- Transparent agreement and commitment between bank & supplier
Project and Program Status Reports:
- Different formats for Project Status Report (PSR)
- No format for Program Status Report
- Varying content
- Some PM’s didn’t deliver a PSR
- Unique and uniform PSR with clear procedure to follow for Project Managers
- PPM tool is Single Point of Truth